11.20.2008

The Final Essay as Ugly Metaphor

I am busy corralling my theoretical horses, marshalling my scholarly forces, and engaging in other horrible examples of metaphor in the pursuit of a "Final Paper" concept.

Popular Culture. Mass Media. Post-Modernism. Theorists. Needlessly long Sociological words meant to convey intent.

My final paper is a solar system yet in the accretion disk phase, slowly swirling around until gravity pulls it into understandable, more spheroid shapes. My planets will have great names: Baudrillard, Marx, Barker, Reggio, pulled helplessly into elliptical orbits around my central thesis sun. Sorry, McDonald, you've been shattered into an asteroid field somewhere along.

It's still fairly large until I get my head around the argument I want. I hope I can pull it off.

No comments: